Tuesday 8 April 2014

Looking after each other!!

This isn't about bumling... This is about the hubby and me ...about us.. About being a couple... Being partners...

So recently I was talking to a friend and I told him how I made the hubby lunch and packed a 'tiffin' for him everyday and sent him off after giving him breakfast and he went ' ahhhh what a good wife you've become' and ' oh wow you actually do all that?'

And it got me thinking.. Have we really taken feminism to such an extent that simply cooking lunch and breakfast and somedays dinner for your husband is a lot to do? Is it something now that is considered a wow factor in a girl?

I remember years ago I was watching Meet Joe Black, you know the Brad Pitt movie where he's such a gorgeous Death? He was so so cute in that movie... and before he plays Death he plays this adorable regular guy that the girl meets in a coffee shop and they get talking and he said this thing... (which i just spent an hour finding on the internet so I have the exact words) which really laid the foundation of relationships for me...
If you and I were married, I would want to give you what you need.
That's all. I'm talking about taking care of each other the best you can.
What's wrong with taking care of a woman? She takes care of you.
I mean really... Isn't that what being together, of choosing to be with someone is about... looking after each other?

You don't need to define what all you do for each other as this is what the men have been doing for years and women have been doing for years and then sticking to doing just that or rebelling against it all and not doing any of it..... but you just do what you can to make each others lives more comfortable....

When Siddy was born and Aadi wasn't (luckily) working in a nine to five job scenario... he was totally and completely there for siddy and me... He helped change diapers and fed him his milk and rocked him to sleep and told him stories things that are essentially a woman's "job" but he did it with so much love not just for his little baby boy but to help me out and look after me...

So today if he is out morning to night... if I make him his meals and pack his work bag and make sure dinner is ready before he gets home, its not me going out of my way... its me looking after him...

I think the problem starts with couples not thinking in 'couples' terms anymore... I think they think of themselves as individuals first and then of each other... Every decision every thought is first "How will this affect me? How will it affect my life" and then " How will it affect us and our little family?"

Also in wanting to be super independent and all pro feminism.. most girls fight the regular things of being the wife in a marriage... Its more to simply rebel against the old school thoughts.... maybe because we can fight against the conservative thought of being only a homemaker, being the one who raises the kids and proving that we can balance both that and having our own career... except sometimes I think we overdo it a tad bit....

I think we need to relax in our relationships.... Enjoy them... Not try and search for a hidden context in everything we say to each other.... 

I love looking after Aadi... I love making him his breakfast and packing his bag in the morning... I love waiting for him to come back and having dinner with him.... 

As much as I love his daily message reminder to have my calcium and to give bumling his... And the way he gives me my three biscuits with my coffee in the mornings... And how he ruffles my hair and puts me to sleep no matter how tired... 

It's the little things that matter.... That make you a couple! 










No comments:

Post a Comment